A short Ximian Evolution installation guide
This article is a little installation guide for the Ximian
Evolution. This software is able to read and send mail from a
Linux workstation via MS Exchange server 5 (NOT for 5.5). In
this article, I'll give you some info about my personal
experience and my own configuration.
_________________ _________________ _________________
Step by step
First step : Install Red Carpet. This software will check for
the latest version for the selected software.
In our case : Evolution.
follow the procedure :
-Install Red Carpet
- Select only Red Carpet + your distribution (in my case :
- download Red Carpet package
- rpm -Uvh red_carpet-1....rpm
- Launch Red Carpet
- If you must modify the firewall configuration, do it, else
click on OK
- on the left of the window, click on <unsubscribed
channels>. On the right pane, click on <Ximian
Evolution> and click on the subscribe button.
- select necessary packages and click on <update
- click on <next>
If you have some trouble with the download, cancel the
current one and restart from the <selection package>
Once installed, it is possible to unsubscribe Red Carpet for
Evolution. In other words Red Carpet will then not check for
- Evolution Configuration
- add the hostname and the IP adress of your Exchange
- start Ximian Evolution
- In the identity window, fill up your personal info and
click on <next>
example: Full Name : Monsieur Toto
E-Mail adress : Toto@truc.com
- Receiving mail window :
Sever type : IMAP
Host : <hostname of your Exchange Server>
click on <server requires authentication>
in <autentication type> select <login>
in <username> enter your windows domain username!!! and
click on <next>
- time zone window : select your country, click on
<next> and on <finish>
The software is installed and, normally, must be working fine.
Please note that :
- For my part, I can't read my contacts and my appointments
created with Outlook
- If you use delete to delete
contacts or mail, they will be deleted on the server.
There is no way to restore them.
- This configuration works for me. If you've some kinds of
problems, go directly to www.ximian.com. They have a FAQ
sheet that can help.
Talkback form for this article
Every article has its own talkback page. On this page you can submit a comment or look at comments from other readers:
2003-04-18, generated by lfparser version 2.37